The Northern Thailand Region contains Thailand’s tallest mountains and is also further from the equator. Therefore it is cooler than the majority of Thailand. It is a popular place to visit in December and January, when the night time temperatures in the mountains will occasionally drop below freezing. The low cloud, or fog, that appears between October and February also make this a popular place to view a sunrise. This is especially so from the Phu Tub Berk viewpoint in the Phetchabun Mountains
The rich cultural and historical tapestry of the region makes it one of the more authentic places to visit in Thailand. The mix of ethnic people provides Northern Thailand with a rich mix of cultures.
Northern Thailand Provinces
- Chiang Mai – High mountains – Waterfalls – Cool climate – Hill tribes – Temples – History – Popular with tourists.
- Chiang Rai – Golden Triangle where Laos, Burma and Thailand meet – Rich History – Hill tribes – Mountains.
- Kamphaeng Phet – History – Temples – “Egg banana”.
- Lampang – Ceramics – Temples – History.
- Lamphun – Wood carvings – Elaborately woven silks – Hand woven cotton – Temples – Culture – History.
- Mae Hong Son – Lush valleys – Virgin forests – Hill Tribes – River rafting – Mountain biking – Tea growing.
- Nakhon Sawan – Buddha footprint – fresh water swamp – temples – caves – spectacular waterfalls.
- Nan – history – temples – mountains -handicrafts – musical instruments – silverware.
- Phayao – fresh water lake fishing – temples – large sitting Buddha – waterfalls – birds – handmade cotton.
- Phetchabun – national parks, waterfalls, communist war history, and arguably the most spectacular temple in Thailand.
- Phichit – fresh water fish breeding, 34 meter-tall golden Buddha, temples, pomelo fruit growing, hand woven fabrics.
- Phitsanulok – authentic Thai city unspoiled by western tourists, bird park, Buddha factory, folklore museum
- Phrae – teak forests and ancient teak buildings, national parks, waterfalls, temples
- Sukhothai – Thailand’s original capital, history, national parks, museums, cycling
- Tak – large waterfalls, natural stone bridge, national parks, large dam, natural beauty
- Uthai Thani – hot and sulphur springs, water buffalo, waterfalls, river rafting, national parks, world heritage areas
- Uttaradit – biggest teak tree in the world, natural parks, forests, caves, waterfalls, temples.